If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Summer!

Never mind the less than sunny skies, today was the first day of summer vacation here in western NY. Of course after a few weeks of neglect, there’s the usual catching up to do around the house and the summer projects that I am planning to tackle, but first things first. After much pondering and inspiration from dedicated bloggers, I have set a reading goal for the summer – a book a day. YAY! Lounging on my deck with a tall glass of iced tea and a good book has been my idea of a perfect summer day for years, but this year I want to do more to nourish my literacy life. I intend to read a variety of books - children’s literature on the lookout for reading and writing implications; novels for middle readers; professional books; and naturally some summer “beach reads.” Several times a week, at the very least, I am planning to post the titles and in many cases some follow-up thoughts.
As I continue to creep into the blogging world, summer will afford me the much coveted time to establish a regular routine for posting and managing my blog. That being said with more active involvement on my part I am looking forward to communicating with other bloggers. I am in awe of the generosity of bloggers like Amy at the Poetry Farm, Stacey & Ruth at Two Writing Teachers, Elaine at Wild Rose Reader, Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect and many more! I have learned so much in the few months I have been dabbling that has enriched my life. My students and I participated in the March Slice of Life challenge and April’s Poem a Day program. I love the routines like Monday Poetry Stretch and Poetry Friday Round-up. However, I am still very much a rookie. I welcome and appreciate any and all feedback. Many thanks!

Summer is here – happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment