If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mid-Summer Reflecting


When summer vacation started I thought hmm why not set a reading goal; so many others are doing it. I should push myself with a new challenge. In March I wrote a slice a day. I came close to 30 poems during poetry month. Well I am falling way behind on a book a day. I could catch up if I sit down with a stack of picture books and I do have a basket that came home with me on the last day of school plus a growing list of recommended titles. Therefore I may finish the race, but not in record time. After all, shouldn’t I practice what I preach? Reading is not a race and I am not a fast reader. In fact the more I think about writing, read about writing, read like a writer, and read like a teacher of writing I am actually reading more slowly. Don’t get me wrong I still love to get lost a good book. There’s nothing like a good “beach” read, but I am a different reader today – a reader that slows down, rereads, and savors good writing. Perhaps I need to set a goal that is a good fit for me as a learner. In the meantime I will continue to savor summer with a good book every chance I get!

7 comments:

  1. You have remarked on something I am finding to be true as well - the more I write, the more differently I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think savoring books is more important the volume we read. If we can allow books to affect us, as readers and as humans, then we're doing really important reading work. :)

    BTW: If you need a good, fast beach read, then try "Hope in a Jar" by Beth Harbison.

    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Theresa,
    Congratulations! You are our TeachingAuthors giveaway winner. While, technically, you didn't provide an email address, your blog qualifies as a form of "contact information." Please email me as soon as possible via my website with your snail mail address so we can send the book to you: www.carmelamartino.com.
    Hope your summer reading is going well.
    Carmela
    TeachingAuthors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading as a writer has changed my way of reading that is for sure so I thought I would suggest a perfect book for you to read;
    The Elegance of a Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
    It is brilliantly written and you will find yourself stopping and shouting out to whom ever is in the room just to let them here a sentence that was written by Muriel Barbery It wowed me.
    cbrothman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the feedback, support, and recommendation. Your words are affirming.

    Carmela,

    MANY THANKS to the ladies at Teaching Authors. I emailed my info. I am looking forward to Doodlebug.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Did you email me via my website, Theresa? If so, either it was lost in Cyberspace or my Spam filter ate it. Please try again so we can get the book to you ASAP. I'm also on Facebook, if that's easier: www.facebook.com/carmelamartino
    Carmela
    TeachingAuthors

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carmela,

    Not sure what went wrong. I just resent via Facebook. Thanks again.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete