If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Friday, December 31, 2010

Reminising, Reflecting and Rocking On



Poetry Friday ~ A Refrigerator Poem

My poem this week is not really a poem, but it's what I came up with on this last day of 2010. I don't know what I will do when this old refrigerator with the magnetic doors dies. I love the newer stainless steel ones, but what happens to the kitchen collage!

Another year gone by...I hate to state the obvious, but if you are over a certain age (not sure what age, maybe 30) time really does fly by! After spending a few days with extended family, I have been perusing photos, reading quotes, and feeling very sentimental. A new year is a refreshing time, but also a time to long for the past, a reminder to appreciate the present, and live life to the fullest.

On Sunday, we went through old photos and letters that my grandparents had saved over the years. Such history here. They had saved every letter and postcard we had ever sent them. With the astounding technological advancements that we have witnessed it's hard to imagine writing a ten page letter to your mom. Long distance phone calls were costly. There was no email or text messaging. You waited for the mail and looked forward a phone call a few times a month.

What a treasure to have bits and pieces of the ones we will miss so dearly. We have been blessed by grandparents that lived to 90 and 91. Grandpa passed away last December 27th and Grandma this December 17th. Last week at Grandma's funeral mass, the priest said that after more than 70 years of marriage, they will still be together for Christmas. There was a lot of digging for tissues at this point when he made a reference to the song "I'll be Home for Christmas".

All this reflecting and remembering is getting me closer to a word for 2011. I have it narrowed down to a couple and am trying to wait for something to nudge me to a final choice. Several bloggers have recently discussed their choices, including Ruth from the always inspiring Two Writing Teachers. I also like her intentions rather than resolutions for the new year. Read more about the One Little Word project (OLW)at Ali Edwards blog. More on my word choice next week. Until then Happy Poetry Friday, Happy New Year ~ Rock On!

**I must thank Amy at the Poem Farm for welcoming my class for a "Poetry Peek". Amy has been such an inspiration to me over the past year as have all the bloggers I have met through Poetry Friday and the Slice of Life Stories at Two Writing Teachers. Surely on my list of intentions for 2011, I will include a commitment to give back to these on-line communities with more regular posting. Head over to Carol's Corner for the final Poetry Friday for 2010.
MANY THANKS!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. You have me now thinking about our refrigerator (growing rust spots) and all of the bits of memory paper I would like to save in a more lovely way. I feel lucky to have met you this year, and thank you again for coming to my blog for PF. I can't wait to hear what your OLW is. Mine - "faith."
    Happy 2011!
    A.

    ReplyDelete