If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Slice of Life Tuesday ~ My "OLW"


We are approaching the mid-year point in the school year. It's a good time to reflect, review, and reach new heights. We dust off the anchor charts from September and revisit those routines that have gotten a little rusty. After a refresher mini-lesson, most students are back on track and as I look around I realize many never veered off the path. This is what I need to do whenever I am feeling and sounding like I am singing the blues. Sure there are a few students who need a nudge or perhaps something a bit more intense. Today I completed my 24th benchmark assessment gathering new information that will guide me in my teaching, getting to know each of my readers a little better, celebrating each learner's growth.

Earlier in the month I choose my "OLW", one little word for 2011, a word that will guide me professionally and personally. As a lover of words this idea intrigued me. I pondered the possibilities as words tumbled around my mind. I narrowed it down. It needed to be effective. It should lead me on a journey. It needed to foster growth. I should select a verb. Grow, balance, focus, give, learn...Others were saying, my word chose me...hmmm, it wasn't happening. I was on my own. I needed to choose. I decided on reach. Sometimes I really do blow up a reasonable task. Hence the late night posting. It's time to tuck-in my tumbling thoughts and my tired self; tomorrow is another day to keep reaching.

2 comments:

  1. What a positive and productive approach to your teaching. Is this top down direction or is it coming from you,Theresa?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie,
    I am fortunate to teach in an environment that encourages and fosters these ideas. I am a pretty reflective and passionate about my teaching. I love to read professional books and blogs that give me the nudge to reach. I guess the answer to your question is a combination. Thanks for your feedback.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete