If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Monday, March 11, 2013

Inspiration to Write


The poem below was written by Kara, a 4th grade poet whom I have the pleasure of writing with everyday. She was inspired to write this after our World Read Aloud Day Skype with author Leslie Bulion. Kara could not wait for the March challenge to start! My students and I are participating in the 6th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge, organized by The Two Writing Teachers.  To read more about our Skype and World Read Aloud Day see this post.

Beluga Whales
by Kara
Beluga Whales 
have a lemon
for a forehead.

Not like a lemon in
lemonade lemon
like an overlap
of skin.

And used for
communication
with clicks,
whistles,
and clanks.

They are
pod animals.

And can get hunted
by US.

They live in
the Arcticoceans
and
sub Arcticoceans.

The Arctic ones
migrate
to the
southern
oceans so
when
the ocean freezes 
they woun't
die.

They can 
weigh up  
to be
1 ton
to a
ton and a
half.

And are half
the size
of
a
school bus.

2 comments:

  1. I am sooo jealous that I missed this experience with kids. Oh well, can't have everything. So wonderful that you are sharing this with your students. It would be cool to do a podcast slice with them sharing and or reflecting the experience. Kevin and Stacey are using a cool tool for this.
    Just a thought,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Kara used poetry as a tool to share what she had learned about whales. I've been intrigued, the last few years, as I've read about multigenre reports. I think nonfiction poetry could be such an accessible genre for so many kids. Tell Kara thank you for sharing this with us! I especially love the part about the lemon- not like a lemon in lemonade lemon. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete