If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SOLS Day 8 ~ Talkative Tuesday

It’s that time of the year when I feel the need for makeover – a classroom makeover. Sure the winter has left me with a drab complexion and my black wardrobe is feeling dreary as well, but it’s the environment in Room 25 that needs a pick-me-up. The midyear point and the return from winter recess were ideal times to review workshop expectations and routines. The conversations revealed thoughtful insight from my wise learners. Most students are well aware of the specifics and could explain our procedures to a new student or a visitor. It’s like editing; students love to make corrections to another person's writing. They can talk the talk, and walk the walk. Now they need to practice what they preach. (Hopefully, I have not butchered these expressions.)

The more urgent issue is the time we seem to be losing to excessive socializing. I say excessive because I don’t have unreasonable expectations. I value teamwork and collaboration among students. I recognize that school friendships are critical components of the daily climate in the classroom. I am not looking for silent transitions or lengthy stretches of time without verbal communications. However, I need to be stingy with our time in the classroom and maintain the rigor of our day. Tonight has me pondering some remedies. Open to suggestions, I am going to read some of my favorite pick-me-up texts. Perhaps some words of wisdom from Regie Routman, Ralph Fletcher, Katie Woodray, or Katherine Bomer. Would also love to hear from you … the Slice of Life writers, especially our Two Writing Teachers, Ruth and Stacey continue to inspire me to be a better teacher with their wise, caring words.

1 comment:

  1. They can talk the talk, and walk the walk. Now they need to practice what they preach. - I love this. Just today I had to get on to one of my students because he didn't want to revise his work. He just wanted to get it done, but he was all for marking on someone else's paper.

    I too struggle with my students excessive talking when they should be writing their piece. I get frustrated and have learned to just go with it because at the end they do have a final product. I just don't like all of the noise.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete