If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Just Listen! Slice 14

Listen. This advice I have received from my wise friend, Sue and my husband, Mark. Yet somehow I forgot this today when my son was venting about his job. I don’t think I really said anything wrong, but gave my opinion. Big mistake! Why couldn’t I have just listened, maybe nodded and offered a “hmm” or two? How long will it take me to remember this with our children? Is it that I feel the need to fix everything or turn it into a learning experience? N. is 19 years old, not quite independent, but learning and breaking away more all the time. He needs affirmation, encouragement, and support. So until the next time I slip and undoubtedly choose the wrong words, I will remember the quote we had on our refrigerator for a long time: We have two ears and one mouth. Therefore, we should listen twice as much as we talk. Not a bad idea to keep in mind in our classrooms. With students we must also choose our words carefully as we ask the questions that generate reflection and discussion. Then it is time to listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment