If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Slice 31 Thoughts and Thanks!

As we close out March, I feel blessed to have been a part of the Slice of Life community of writers. Our hosts Ruth and Stacey really have something special going on. The dedication to our profession as educators, specifically in the area of writing enriches not only our lives, but the lives of our students. The continued excitement, enthusiasm, and effort of my students have spread like good news. They can’t wait to show off their slices and stamp their calendars each morning. Several students even expressed a bit of sorrow as they finished today’s entry. There is something about writing together that builds the sense of community. The feeling resembles that bond created through the sharing of a powerful book. Is it the common challenges we tackle or the accomplishments we celebrate together? I have always shared the belief that we are truly better teachers if we walk in the shoes of our students, especially in the area of literacy. We can genuinely model the behaviors of readers and writers if we have relevant background experiences to connect to our lessons. I am looking forward to moving forward on the momentum of March as we shower ourselves in a month of poetry. Thank you slicers! I am looking forward to Slicing on Tuesdays.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! My first month with R and S was such a great start. It's great to have their weekly Tuesday Slice to keep going with focus.
    Great Slicing with you,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete