If you want to teach me to write, first you have to love me. ~AVI

Monday, March 8, 2010

What's for Dinner?

What’s for Dinner?
…the dreaded question, especially on a weeknight. Don’t get me wrong I love to cook. I just struggle with ideas when I get in the dinner rut.
The good part tonight is that I pondered the answer before I stood in the kitchen staring at our options. So I stopped for a loaf of fresh bread. I remember the fresh veggies in the refrigerator. There are always spices in the cabinet, along with pasta and bam a pretty good meal, maybe a little heavy on the carbs, but not bad for a Monday night.
Chop, chop on the cutting board-onions, portabella mushrooms, and some broccoli tossed in a little olive oil and we are on our way. Don’t forget the garlic, a splash of white wine, salt, pepper, and a few other spices. The aroma is enticing and it looks good. A small taste, a bit more seasoning and I’m satisfied with my concoction. In comes my husband Mark, who like Emeril prefers to kick it up a notch even after I think there is already a zip to it. According to him, “It needs something.” We find a can of tomatoes, but I am a little apprehensive about the HOT on the label. There are chilies in the tomatoes. I start with half the can and can smell the spiciness, but it has thickened up the vegetable mixture nicely. “Dump in the whole can,” urges Mark. “Bam, it sure has some zip now!” Mark loved it. Bread definitely helped balance the HOT. He thinks the leftover veggies would be great on pizza. Yes, we have the answer to tomorrow’s inquiry, “What’s for dinner?” Maybe Emeril will do the cooking tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful slice, right in the moment of cooking that great spontaneous way with a nice twist at the end.
    Thanks,
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete